Old February 11th 21, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard

Default Flying with Parachutes

I'm curious if there's a rigger anywhere around the Vero Beach to Palm Beach area. If you have contact information as well that would be great. Obviously I only want to use a certified packer.

I know this is a long shot and the answer is probably a glaring "no", but are there parachutes for children or small adults? Or, better way to ask: what is the smallest person a parachute that is made for by the major brands such as Softie, National, etc? I'll handle the mental capacity aspects of this situation. I've already begun speaking with them about it.

My 8 year old asked me "Dad, why don't you wear a parachute?" I told him I will when I get the airplane (came with 2 chutes). I also told him I wouldn't wear it if I'm flying with him. He looked confused and asked why not. "If something happened that I needed to bail out while flying with you, I would not bail out and leave you. I will never leave you." He gulped. I think he got it. He got it so far as an 8 year old could get it. We talked some more about it being fun but also very serious. I think he got it. He isn't big enough for a parachute yet, but I sure want to get whatever DOES exist for when he gets big enough to fit one. So what's out there? I'll deal with the capacity issue as it can be handled.

Thanks everyone.