Old February 12th 21, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 7:14:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Agreed, and that's why I was not inquiring about his mental capacity and just focusing on the physical sizes for now.

It's not just my 8 year old. I have a 10 year old as well, and they're growing like weeds in many ways. They will eventually be ready to wear one mentally and physically, so I'd like to have a chute for them when those two things collide.... see what I did there? They will likely be my #1 passengers. They are great aviators so far. They are fantastic doing the sim stuff, and really good at our club. My 10 year old outsoared me and I still haven't beaten him. They're really good, and that's coming from a biased 10,500 hour pilot who daily gets to witness other pilots abilities. For their age they're ahead of the curve (obviously I'm biased there). Whether it's natural or paternal doesn't really matter. I just want it to be there when they can fit in one, and by that time, I'd imagine they will be mentally ready to be trained to use one as well.

So what size of a person will smaller chutes fit? And what are some manufacturers who could take this question more accurately? I'd like them being equipped when they are mentally and physically ready. If the equipment is there and they see it and fit into it: One day they will be mentally ready as well. Or maybe the other way around will happen first. And that's what I'm trying to find out.

Give Strong enterprises a call and give Rigging Innovations a call. They can build small harnesses, kids that age do tandems outside of the USA, but there is an issue of going much smaller than the backpack. Possible to fall out of an oversized parachute harness butt first, rare, but it happens once in a while. Also the parachute can be built with some adjustability, might not be enough to cover all of their growth but should get you a few years. I'd plan on putting a static line to the glider as well.