Old August 13th 10, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Another FLARM thread

The FLARM in US thread has taken so may twist and turns I decided to
start a new one.

I was prompted by a discussion on u.r.a.s to read the SGU FLARM trial
report again. I had read it when it was first published but since
FLARM was not available in US at that time I quicky forgot about it.
It's worth a read:

http://flarm.net/news/SGU_Flarm_Report.pdf

I know that John, one of the trial participants, drops in on ras
sometimes and would ask him to comment whether there has been an
update to this report or whether any of the suggested software changes
were implemented. I'm particularly interested in whether a usable
heading referenced display was ever developed.

The uras thread that brought me back to the SGU trial report was a
heated discussion on what to do when FLARM alerts to a head on
situation. It seems that, despite the increased use of FLARM in UK,
there is no standardized training in how to respond to its indications
and alerts.

That thread can be found at

http://uras.gliderpilot.net/?op=s2&id=30079&vt=

Do FLARM user in other counties have any sort of standardized training
in FLARM use or is it generally a case of read the manual and go fly
with it?

How many manufacturers have a current FLARM product? Do all FLARM
manufacturers use the same algorithms or will the system response in a
given situation be manufacturer dependent? So far I'm only aware of
one manufacturer interested in the US market but it may be important
to know the answer when referencing reports of user experience with
other FLARM systems.

Andy