Old August 16th 08, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Becker vs Microair

Second that.

Went through all this tossing up - considered what was installed in other aircraft, and how they were standing up after
a couple of years. Considered the service available. Choice was Becker or Funkwerk.

Consequently:
Remove one by prehistoric power gobbling, huge, heavy,dual 360 channel King.
Lose 2.4kg in cockpit after installing one tiny light ATR500.

Pleasant Surprises
The fittings and wiring that come with the beast are first rate.
The instructions are clear - and correct.
The thing works as advertised - first time.
Reception is crystal clear.
Transmission is perfect - it has a function to tune the transmitter to the microphone. So my ultra low power LX electret
mike can now work from 10cm from my face.
It works down to pretty low voltages. I have not had it below 11.2 volts, but everything was still working at that point.
The dual channel function works well.
The squelch is automatic - and it works.
Power consumption is very low.
Limited experience is that hot (30+ centigrade at launch) and high (13,000 feet) are not problems.

Negatives.
The user interface is very logical, but some of the buttons are hard to reach accurately in my Std Cirrus, bigger might
have been better.
The display is quite readable, but a little cryptic.
You have to turn a knob and push a button for some of the functions. Beats the switch off+on alternative, but again in
the Cirrus the panel is an inconvenient stretch away...
Good part is that in general you only ever have to use the stored frequency knob to select one of the 9 saved channels,
and it is a good size. Everything else is pretty much automatic, or set and forget.

All things considered, I am happy enough with the Funkwerk (ex Filser) product to have ordered it's replacement ATR833
for the new toy.

For reference - fly with a Dittel in the Kestrel and don't like it as much. It is a slightly older radio (FSG2T), but
the ATR500 is far nicer to use == better.

Biggest advantage - I can now get two days power out of one battery , compared to three hours with the monster...

My 2c. worth - come over to the dark side - No amount of cheap is going to compensate for recreation spoiled by stuff
malfunctioning - rather skip a couple of luxuries or make some other plan and buy quality.

Bruce

Pete Startup wrote:
Buy an ATR500 form Funkwerk(ex-Filser) in Germany.
Reasonable price,good quality and IT WORKS FAULTLESSLY!

http://www.shop.funkwerk-avionics.com/english/

I too had an early Microair and have been scarred for life.

Pete