Old January 21st 05, 12:46 AM
Doug

I no longer give my maintenance logs to any mechanic or FBO for any
period of time longer than necesarry to attach the log of the work. I
actually prefer to put the log of the work in the maintenance log. Most
mechanics have no problem just giving me a paper with a tearoff sticky
back and I attach it. I have my own way of keeping logs, which is a bit
unconventional. But after having mechanics log their work out of
sequence and in ways that made for sloppy logs, I have taken on the
responsibility myself. Also, I have discovered mistakes in logging made
by previous mechanics. I personally know of an aircraft owner that was
given a violation for having an incorrectly worded log his logbooks.
Since the FAA is saying it is up to the owner/operator, then I do it
myself. Each log goes on it's own seperate sheet of paper. These sheets
of paper are each put in a glassene envelope in a 3 ring binder. I now
have the worlds neatest logs. In the past, I have given my logs to a
mechanic, purportedly worth 1/3 the value of the airplane, and NEVER
did I get a receipt. If they were lost or stolen, he could simply
maintain he never had them. Would you check $25,000 worth of jewelry
into the hotel safe without a receipt or put $25,000 of money into a
bank without a receipt? Yet mechanics take our logs and "throw them
into a non-locked drawer". as if they are the Sunday newspaper. If the
mechanic asks for my logbooks I bring him all of the aircraft paperwork
(POH, manual etc), except the airframe and engine logs (and in my case
propellor and float logs), in a pouch and that seems to make him happy.
Some mechanics seem to want to possess logs as a control issue. I only
give the mechanic the logbooks if they have a need for them. And they
only get to examine them for the time it takes, and I get them back
immediately thereafter. I have no issue with them looking at the logs,
but they cannot take possession of them. If this ever became an issue,
I could easily remove each page and xerox it and give them a copy,
something I should probably do anyway.