Old May 13th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

"Javier" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:
"Allen" wrote in message
. com...
Jay Honeck wrote:
Hmmm. Let's see. Shall I believe the guy who runs a multi-million
dollar aircraft exhaust system business (and has no incentive to lie
me), or shall I believe Usenet?
"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message

Teledyne Continental and (I think) Lycoming have both gone on record
to say that mogas is damaging to their engines. They are certainly
multi-millon dollar aircraft engine companies and have have no
incentive to lie to you.
They are also multi-million dollar aircraft engine companies that
recommend against LOP operation. (Unless you are running a FADEC
system).

Have they ever shown you or anyone else REAL DATA?

No? Gee, why not?

Yes, like Lycoming who recommends 50ROP. Got any idea what THAT will do
to your valves, heads, exhaust system?

Oh, and Columbia recommends LOP for it's IO-550'ed 400 model.

Mirage/Malibu models with certain engines need to be ran LOP, per the POH,
too.

Recall, too, that the earlier Malibu's ran into problems because pilots were
"chicken" to run LOP and the engine baffeling was quite suboptmal.

From what I've been reading on the Mooney list by Walter Atkinson, LOP is
a Good Thing, and even doable on carbureted engines (one needs to play
with the carb heat setting, an engine analyzer and a carb temp gauge are
de rigueur).

A touch of Carb heat and the throttle cracked ever so slightly. It creates
turbulence in the intake system that evens things out rather nicely. I
guess it, unfortunately, doesn't work with many of the 182's whose carbs are
just a nightmare. (??)