Old May 19th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Skylane

Default Odd missed approach instructions

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

I agree that it is unusual, and I'm not certain of the appropriate wording
in this circumstance. However, the NACO chart calls for flying the 098°
track, whereas the JEPP chart call for flying a 118° track! Something is
really screwed up here.

Also, I believe you have misinterpreted a portion of the missed approach
procedure. Probably especially important in view of that tower NW of
CISON:

You write, "... after crossing CISON ...".

But CISON is depicted, on both the Jepp and the NACO charts, as a fly-by WP
and not as a fly-over WP. "Fly-by waypoints are used when an aircraft
should begin a turn to the next course prior to reaching the waypoint". So
you should not be "crossing CISON".

Yup!

The Jepp database supplied to our Universal FMS's definitely shows a 120
degree track from CISON to BREIT, and that CISON is fly past, so you
should begin your turn before the waypoint. NACO obviously goofed on
this one.

A double-take on the chart should alert you that 098 *cannot* take you
from CISON to BREIT, as 098 is the outbound heading of the hold, and is
clearly at a different angle than the CISON to BREIT leg.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane