Old April 25th 13, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default (USA) FlarmNet usage

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:11:35 AM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
Thanks for the "heads-up", Evan.

The release notes are very interesting. FLARM is now going to charge a fee for (among other things):

* Engine Noise Level recording (ENL)

* IGC approval (IGC)

* Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB)

If this scheme is applicable to the US, too, then I'll be using my Volkslogger along with PowerFLARM. At least I'll get an IGC approved flight trace good for up to world records (OK, stop laughing) with engine noise monitoring - for free.

-John, Q3

In the readme file they say that the extra charges only apply to features
not shipped on new purchases. If you already have your PF then you're fine.
The only charge I see (in the future) is for access to the obstacle database.
Since that's called something like "alps 2011" I don't think that's very
applicable.

Matt