Old September 12th 11, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan[_3_]

Default Transponder: Mode-C or Mode-S?

Am 12.09.11 14:57, schrieb jcarlyle:
Using the same logic, don't buy anything other than V rated tires for
your car, as the common S rating is only good for 112 mph (180 kph).

If I wanted to drive with 112 mph (180 kph), then you'd be perfectly
correct. Glider pilots on the other hand tend to want to climb as high
as they can. In fact, the possibility to get a clearance to climb has
been the main reason for me to buy a transponder. So it would have been
pretty pointless to buy a class 2 transponder.

As always YMMV, but at least one should be aware of this limitation
before spending money on a class 2 transponder.