Old November 19th 04, 11:10 AM
Dylan Smith

In article cPand.115563$R05.55665@attbi_s53, Jonathan wrote:
In other words, if I'm going flying in a few days, And I go to weather.com
and see 'mostly cloudy' in the forecast, how do I know if that's "2000'
better-file-an-ifr-flight-plan Cloudy" or "10,000' VFR-is-no-problem"
cloudy?

You can guess that sort of order-of-magnitude quite easily yourself.

What sort of weather system is generating the "Mostly cloudy" forecast?
Cold front? Warm front? Occlusion? A marine air-mass? That'll give you a
pretty good idea of what to expect.

What are the places that are currently in the weather system that's
moving your way like? Of course it might change by the time the airmass
reaches you (and depending on where you live there may be several
factors which could change it significantly), but if you see low clouds
and ceilings advancing on you - well, that mostly cloudy is probably
gonna be the low stuff.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net