Old September 14th 05, 01:30 AM
Doug Snyder

Default Badges ? ... We don't need no stinkin' badges

My first BFR is coming up soon. That gives you an idea of how long I've
been flying. At this point, I figure Gold Distance and Duration are
quite doable on a "good" day. Those badges will be challenging, but
within reach. The altitude gain is not impossible, but unlikely where I
fly.

The biggest hold up to making some badge claims is cost. I'm not sure
I'm willing to cough up a grand for a data logger. I don't understand
why the igc files produced by my WinPilot ADV are unacceptable. Is
cheating that much of a problem in badge claims? Hell, by today's
standards, Gold Badges are fairly modest accomplishments. Are there
really glider pilots who would rather manipulate files than do the
flying? Quite frankly, I think the flying is easier. (and I'm a
programmer by profession)

Lately, I've been thinking about a barograph and a digital camera. On
the other hand, maybe the badges are just too much trouble.

Doug