Old September 17th 03, 12:32 AM
Robert Little

Actually it is no big deal.. The one mounted in the old AH-1 Cobra that I
flew was nothing but a short bladed K-Bar kniife and our curved canopy was
about 1/4" thick. It was installed for when the det cord didn't blow out
the canopy or the copter was laying over on the canopy (which is usually the
way things ended up in bad times).n I'm sure the ones found in the auto
magazines would do as well as the high dollar K-Bar. Just a thought. RTL
"Russell Duffy" wrote in message
Greetings,

I've been looking for a canopy breaking tool, that would work on a 1/4"
thick canopy. I know the military has had a few of these over the years,
but I haven't been able to locate a used, or surplus tool. I'm betting

that
someone makes a tool for this, but I sure can't find one in any internet
search.

For the record, I've seen the life hammers, and such that are made for
tempered auto glass, but I don't think those would work. If anyone can
point me to a tool that's made for aircraft canopies, I'd certainly
appreciate it.

Cheers,
Rusty