Old October 23rd 03, 01:58 PM
Dave Stadt

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
t...

"Big John" wrote in message
From NTSB

quote

On Oct 14, 2003, at 1600 daylight time, a Wright Redux Association
1903 Wright Flyer, N203WF, piloted by a private plot, received
substantial damage on impact with terrain after the airplane stalled
during takeoff at an altitude of about 30 feet at the Clow
International Airport, Bolingbrook, IL. Visual meteorological
conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The private pilot
was uninjured. The flight was originating at the time of the accident.

unquote

30 feet of altitude? In an aircraft that is reported to be severely
unstable in pitch? That guy must have big brass ones... I'd *try* to

keep
it in ground effect, if at all possible. More performance, and maybe a
reduced chance of a *big* crash.

On the other hand, the instability may have led to the aircraft ballooning
to 30', which was followed by a stall, then a loud crunching sound.

KB

Sounds to me like they reproduced the Wright Brothers first flight in the
1903 Flyer.