Old April 10th 04, 02:14 AM
Jim Weir

Ah, grasshopper, you must read the WHOLE paragraph, not just those parts that
you personally believe. You, of course, are mistaken once again.

See the "to the extent necessary" clause? If I tell an owner to remove a wheel,
clean and lube the wheel bearings, and reinstall the wheel, and if I've seen the
owner do this perfectly a half-dozen times, how many "personal observations" do
you think I'm going to make?

After the fact maintenance sign-offs are NOT illegal if the signer was in on the
deal from the getgo and told the owner exactly what to do and when any
inspections (if any) were necessary.

(BTW, I don't mind disagreement with my holdings. However, you need to post
your qualifications for making the statements before I will give you one gram of
credence. A&P? IA? Private pilot with 43 hours?)

Jim

Bill Zaleski

-Yes, correct to the extent that you describe, but not only must the
-mechanic sign it off, but he must personally observe the work being
-done before it is signed off. After the fact maintenence sign-offs,
-though common, are illegal. Guess you want the reference? FAR 43.3
-(d)

http://www.rst-engr.com