Old August 21st 15, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 1:44:19 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
I've waited a long time to jump into this fascinating thread so will keep my comments short:

What's the big deal with "leeching"? It's a race - almost all other racing sports encourage close racing! That way small differences in skill are accentuated and the luck factor is reduced.

I'm all for full use of FLARM. I like knowing where everyone is (not like there is a big crowd at races these days).

For you guys who want to go off on your own and exercise your magical skills alone - three words: On Line Contest.

I like the challenge of outclimbing someone, and running a better energy line, and flying a more aggressive final glide. Winning by seconds, as XX wrote.

If "leeching" brings a few newbies into the race scene, great! What is the chance of someone leeching his way onto the US world team?

And for that matter, if FLARM is becoming a tactical tool at the Worlds, shouldn't we be training to use that way in our Regional and National races?

So my vote (if it comes to that) is NO to Stealth mode. Bring on the tech!

Kirk
66
Happily PFing since 2013

From the information I'm seeing, Flarm in a reduced capability mode(competition mode or such)will almost certainly be in effect at the WGC level.
I'm curious as to how you will feel when your 2 friends team fly using the capabilities of Flarm to keep track of each other, including climb rates, without needing to talk on the radio. I, for one, will be seriously not happy.
How about weather radar?
How about near real time display of all competitors position, track, altitude, and climb rate?
How about the crew sending tactical info to the pilot?
The question becomes how far do we open the door and what are the likely affects on our sport?
UH