Old August 21st 15, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 2:57:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:

From the information I'm seeing, Flarm in a reduced capability mode(competition mode or such)will almost certainly be in effect at the WGC level.
I'm curious as to how you will feel when your 2 friends team fly using the capabilities of Flarm to keep track of each other, including climb rates, without needing to talk on the radio. I, for one, will be seriously not happy.
How about weather radar?
How about near real time display of all competitors position, track, altitude, and climb rate?
How about the crew sending tactical info to the pilot?
The question becomes how far do we open the door and what are the likely affects on our sport?
UH

I think it would be fun! The more info the better, and the person/team that uses it the best, and flies the best, will still win.

All sports change to absorb new technology - look at the America's cup or Formula 1! Nothing prevents a CM from declaring Stealth mode - but how often do we declare NO-GPS and break out our charts and cameras!

And if it means crews become more involved in our racing - that would be great!

Who knows - maybe all the cool tech would attract a new generation of contest pilots - so maybe it's the juniors we need to be asking about all this.

Cheers,

Kirk
66