Old December 12th 03, 11:58 PM
smithxpj

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:01:29 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

It depends ENTIRELY on how they are foreshortening the antenna. If they are
using super-wide conductors (the entire width of the blade) to get the
foreshortening, then it is a very efficient antenna. If they are using loading
coils inside with a relatively narrow antenna diameter, it is a very inefficient
antenna.

The only way to know for sure is to ask the manufacturer for a data/spec sheet
or cut the antenna open.

I tried that stunt back in the early 80's out of interest.

The couple of manufacturers that I asked were very coy about parting
with detailed information about what was inside their antennas. It was
very generic stuff like..."a printed circuit etched radiator with
double sided etched capacitors and inductors appropriately tapped to
the radiator to achieve optimum matching" !!!

I once managed to get access to an industrial X-ray machine and got a
picture of the innards of a Collins military VHF-UHF blade antenna.
Eye opening stuff, indeed...but trying to reproduce it? It would
hardly be worth the manhour effort compared with knocking up a 26"
piece of 1/8" brazing rod into a 1/4 wave radiator.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com