Old July 4th 20, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default liability insurance

One of the undeniable facts of life is that if we live long enough we will die of something. I will be 70 in 10 days, my plan is to do a 7 mile power walk in the hot Florida sun at an 18 minute per mile pace. Except for a perennial need to lose 15 pounds, a few hiccups and a few injuries I've managed to remain healthy. My endurance and heat tolerance is in my opinion, quite good. My dad died at 86, my mom at 92, it's all in our genes folks.

I flew with a guy in his early 90s as a safety pilot in his son's 182, guy was magnificent. Kinda like the "Jan D." of the power world. He flew B29s in WW2 and later Buffs during Vietnam. He retired and went to law school, kept his brain active, a very important thing to do.

Each day we live we get closer to death. Nothing can be done about that but staying physically active and mentally active are of paramount importance.. There are things that we can't avoid, genetic anomalies being one. I've seen teen agers come into my lab for a Nuclear Cardiac study, I've seen every age group imaginable. I've seen brain rumors in children and 80 year olds, it's gonna get ya, it's just a matter of time.

As a tow pilot I was advised by the lawyer cadre of my family (which included an Aviation attorney) to buy some form of insurance that would protect ME. Sure, the glider port had insurance but chances are it did not include employees. IF you have attachable assets, deep pockets and something happens you might find yourself on the hook. Lawyers are sneaky *******s and will investigate you to see what they can get. I never found such a policy although it appears something is available to instructors. I even asked on this forum and no one was aware of such a policy. Are any tow pilots out there insured for liability? My blanket policy does not cover such activities.

Fly safe folks, the life you save may be yours...or the tow pilots.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot