Old July 16th 05, 03:39 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:36:52 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

"RV9" wrote in message

I know of homebuilders who use household CO2 fire extinguishers. However,
these devices, if discharged in a closed space will:

- decrease or obscure visibility
- reduced breathability wrt Halon discharge
- by-products can corrode aluminum if not cleaned off promptly (discharge
remains in faying aluminum layers.

I think you may be confusing a CO2 extinguisher with a dry chemical
extinguisher. A CO2 extinguisher has no by-product other than the moisture
in the air which may be frozen by the expanding CO2. A dry chemical
extinguisher may leave corrosive residue.

You say that you are required to carry an extinguisher. I assume that the
regulation specifies the minimum rating of the extinguisher - if not the
agent. If the rating is specified and 1211 Halon is not available (try a
marine store), I would get a dry chemical extinguisher of the minimum rating
and carry it. Whether you use it or not will be apparent when the time comes
and you will easily be able to choose between corrosion and the effects of
the fire.

With my wooden airplane, I carry a small 1211 Extinguisher which I bought at
a garage sale. If the airplane catches fire, and there is dirt nearby, I
will toss the extinguisher into the fire and make tracks in the dirt.

Rich S.

Portable Halon extinguishers made before 1995 are legal for use.
Aircraft are still allowed to use Halon.
It is illegal to release holon into the environment except for use in
"emergency" fires (ie it is illegal to use for "training" purposes)