Old December 5th 03, 03:11 PM
Jim

PCATD time is not loggable as PIC time, just as Robert pointed out. In
addition, PCATD time is ONLY loggable as sim time when done with a CFII and
you are working on the training requirements of your instrument rating.

The PCATD rules are not in the FAR's, they are in the Advisory Circular that
Robert posted above.

IIRC, the operating manual or certification documents for the PCATD should
have the FAA approval notice in it somewhere.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

wrote in message
Jim wrote:
: Up to 10 hours on a PCATD with a CFII is loggable as simulated
: instrument/simulator time/instruction recieved as long as you are

working
: toward your instrument rating.
: You must work with your CFII on the prescribed training requirements of

the
: rateing, ie, you just can't play around on the PC with the CFII watching

you
: try to crash it into buildings or try to fly inverted.
: This 10 hours is part of, not in addition to, the 20 hours total sim

time
: that is loggable while working toward your instrument rating.

I've already got an instrument rating, and I do not believe that an

instructor
will be present. It's researching different communications equipment.

: PCATD time is not loggable towards recency or currency requirements.

Fair enough, but it's still loggable as PIC time, no? Just can't count

towards
the recency or currency.

: It must be an approved PCATD.

Where does one find this information? Does it have to be "checked out" in

specific installation, or if it's a certain model is it sufficient?

Thanks again. I figured I'd ask those more familiar with this than I,

since reading
FAR's directly and without guidance is a cure for insomnia.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *