Old November 9th 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Future Club Training Gliders

Here are the FAA numbers of all glider ratings, abinitio and add-ons

http://www.soaringchapters.org/world_report/

I am very surprised at the extremely low number of add-on glider ratings.
Can this be right? *Last year, only 10 power pilots added on a glider
rating in the entire US?

If that's true, then we should be doing a serious marketing campaign aimed
at power pilots who have let their medicals lapse. *That's the really low
hanging fruit.

--
Mike Schumann

I question those numbers as well. *I got into gliders 2008 and have known of
at least 4 or 5 add-ons at my small club since, and we are not located in a
hotbed of soaring activity.

Bob McKellar

I don't disagree that the numbers appear low, but we don't have any
other collection methodology. The FAA got new servers last years and
you'd expect them to be able to sort out the data.

You can't even find a glider pilot examiner on the FAA web site. You
can find a full list by FSDO region, but there's nothing to indicate
glider examiners and FAA staff are not listed. Scottsdale FSDO
publishes a list, but I couldn't find any others that do. FAA has an
LSA (glider) examiner list.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...r_examiner.pdf

Basically, the check ride candidate must contact the FSDO.

If we could get an exhaustive list of glider pilot examiners with good
e-mails, we could poll them.

I suspect only 50-60% of the examiners are SSA members. In my FSDO
region, 40% of DPE don't appear to have ever been SSA members.

Glad to hear of any other suggestions.

Frank Whiteley