Old December 29th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Pegasus time limit

Doug wrote:
It really is hard to believe that a mistranslation will eventually ground 50
gliders. I think more pressure on the FAA is also needed too. Maybe wishful
thinking, but we owners should try *anything* to protect our investment,
including a new translation.

Doug

"Ian" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
According to the FAA, there are approximately 50 Centrair Pegase 101
gliders in the US. I don't know how effective we are as a group, but
letters to Centrair and emails couldn't do to much harm.

If the problem is - have I read this right - that a mistranslation
turned a 3,000 hour inspection into a 3,000 hour life, why don't the 50
of you club together, pay for another professional translation, then
ask Centrair simply to inform the FAA by AD that the documentation has
been upgraded?

Minimum work on their part, and probably won't cost each of you that
much.

Sudden thought. What does the UK documentation for the Pegasus say?

Ian

If the problem is - have I read this right - that a mistranslation
turned a 3,000 hour inspection into a 3,000 hour life....

That what it is. When I get home I will post on this group exact
language from the manual. It is very obvious to me that it is a
translation issue. On the other hand I don't buy that the FAA is so
helpless. We simply need to pressure them until they will take an
action. There are some Pegs here in the US with 3000 hours+, my is only
1100 hours or should I say "I don't care because I have a plenty of
time? " They were importing the Pegs into the US without a flight
manual in English. I don't emember if the pre-certification ships are
now standard or experimental category but nonetheless something needs
to be done. They are perfectly good gliders capable of some impressive
flights and I think we, the owners of Pegase sailplanes, need to write
a letter(s) or hire a lawyer (how the hell do you spell that...lawyer
or layer) or do something. It is incredible to me that a stupid phrase
in someones poor translation is a base for grounding a good and
airworthy glider.

Jacek
Washington State

P.S. I am curious what the UK manual says....maybe someone can post
that info here and then we can take the issue with the FAA and show
them the UK flight manual, maybe they will listen and that might give
them a chance of a different approach with Centrair?