Old April 27th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Default replacement gas strut for wing wheel

On Apr 26, 4:24*pm, Frank wrote:
I have a wing wheel with a German gas strut that I suspect needs to be
replaced. *On the side of the strut is printed

G8 1 80 1 265 AU19 AU19 250N /5/

The nominal uncompressed length is about 11" (28cm) with about
3" (7.5cm) strut showing. *Strut diameter is about 5/16" (7-8mm), and
the outside cylinder diameter is about 3/4" (19-20mm).

I would appreciate any input on specs/sources for a replacement strut.

TIA

Frank (TA)

In addition to the good information you got elsewhere, just note that
the "specs" for the wing walker strut aren't all that critcal. For
instance, there are any number of struts that are a close fit from
NAPA, McMaster Carr, etc. I picked one up at a swap meet last year
- it looked "pretty close". Turned out that I needed to drill out
the eyelet hole by about 1/16, but otherwise it was indistinguishable
from OEM.

P3