Old May 1st 18, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Attitudes & Reality

On 4/30/2018 6:58 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
As for brakes on horseless carriage, standard equipment, as should a transponder and/or Flarm.

No argument here, just musing on progress.Â* Remember when seat belts in
cars cost extra, or when you had to buy the top of the line model to get
air bags?Â* Now they're all standard equipment though cars cost a lot
more than they used to, even, I'd wager, when considering inflation.

I was watching across the taxiway as the owner of the hangar across from
mine was preparing to replace his Flarm portable with a brick in his
brand new Ventus 3.Â* Later, I walked over to check on his progress and
he told me that he was already receiving ADS-B targets!Â* How could he
have completed the installation so quickly? As it turns out and, I think
to his surprise, the factory had already installed an antenna in the
tail, all the cabling required, and even a mounting plate under the
glare shield!Â* All he had to do was hook up the cables, attach the brick
to the mount, and turn on the master switch.Â* That was pretty good
service, if you ask me.
--
Dan, 5J