Old November 27th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default Launch point logging software flight accounting

On Nov 26, 5:05*pm, stevehaley wrote:
Like many clubs mine blows hot and cold on using launchpoint logging
software.
At present we have a legacy system handling flight recording from
paper records taken at the launch point with a link to our accounting
system which was written by a club member who left some time ago and
the system should probably be overhauled/replaced regardless of adding
a launchpoint bit. While it does tick the simple easy to use box I
suspect that savings could be made in terms of staff time entering the
data later.

I suspect that many other clubs are in a similar position or are
paying for the software. I would like to explore the possibility of a
collaborative venture making the end result open source which will
hopefully ensure that the support continues into the future and the
package moves forward

Would anyone who is interested in participating please contact me on
the email address below. Would also be interested to hear from anyone
who has a good robust system and is willing to donate it to the
community as a starting point.
A critical mass of at least 5-6 clubs and 4+ developers is probably
required - location is not seen as an issue and it should be easy
enough to make the software multilingual.

I would also like to hear of other clubs experiences using launchpoint
logging systems with respect to reliability, redundancy, ease of use
etc etc.

rgds
Stephen
sjhcon_at_gmail.com

Good idea.

It strikes me that if both gliders and tugs carried GPS loggers, all
flight data could be automatically captured except for matching
flights to member names which should be fairly easy to do manually.
Tows would be matched to glider flights since the logs are time
stamped. A tow starting at exactly the same time as a glider flight
would link them together.

A software package that created a daily screen from the logs data
where pilot names could be entered manually would make billing easier
- and a lot more accurate.