Old September 18th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Carriere

Default Home Built 51% Rule Under the Gun

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
The FAA clarified the rule earlier this year by saying: When they say
51% they do not mean the builder actually does 51% of the labor, but
(and they clarified that by saying. If the builder does one aileron
then they know how to do an aileron and some one else may build the

Unless it's changed (nice disclaimer, right?), there is a list of tasks,
FAA Form 8000-38. In the case of ailerons, there are actually 12 tasks.
About half of those are fabricate various components. The other half
are install or assemble those components. Of course, as you describe, a
builder gets full credit for performing each task just once.

The list is 154 tasks long (I counted). Several of the tasks described
probably don't apply to most aircraft (things like canards and rotor
systems jump off the page as obvious examples), so I guess the builder
is left with fewer than 154 tasks, and has to have completed 51% of those.

There tasks also vary widely in difficulty. "Install seats" is equal
credit to "fabricate propeller."

By the way, nice and realistic description of construction.