Old April 27th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning

Default Avionics Build It Yourself Manuals

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
.. .
So for 35 years now we've been putting out our kits with two printed

manuals
per kit ... a
"operations and maintenance" and a "construction and assembly" manual.

Each
of which costs us about $2 a manual. Not a big deal.

I've got a wild hair that we can put out a digital CDROM set of manuals

that
will give COLOR pictures, video "how to", and a lot of other stuff on the
CDROM.

The other person in the company says that you all want print manuals.

Please vote:

1. I want a print (paper) set of manuals with my kit.

2. I want a CDROM with my kit that I can print out myself.

3. I want you to increase the cost of the kit by $5 and include both

print
and CDROM with every kit.

Please, no other permutations. Print or CDROM. No other choices.

Jim

I have yet to build one of yours, as well as the aircraft to house it, but I
have found that the absense of complete printed manuals is a big pain with a
lot of newer equipment as well as with a lot of recent software--even though
it does keep the price down. Having both is really the only way to go.

I have found that it is much easier to "learn" a system, whether hardware or
software, when I can just sit down with the complete manual and study it. I
have also found that printing manuals at home costs much more for a
generally inferior product--there are no oversized fold-out pages and the
manual is not as securely bound and/or as well labeled.

Never the less, the addition of the CD is also valuable. Pages which are
frequently used, or which will be marked up during assembly and testing, can
be printed as needed. Also, the contents of the CD can be copied to a hard
disk drive on a laptop computer so as to be available at the airport...

I hope this helps.

Peter