Old December 5th 04, 08:32 PM
C Kingsbury

"mindenpilot" wrote in message

Anyone ever notice this before?

I fly out of BED, out in the Boston suburbs. While your odds of limping in
to an airport are definitely better (especially in IMC) there is still
plenty of inhospitable terrain called Densely Populated Areas. There are
plenty of places where your choice of impromptu landing strips will be a
swamp, a par-3 9-hole golf course, an interstate full of traffic and power
lines, and a busy mall parking lot. I don't know the difference between
landing on wheat or soybeans, but I can tell you that on a weekend you're a
lot better off looking for an office park than a mall.

On busy days at BED it's not unusual to find yourself on a 5-mile final at
1200-1800' to stay under Boston's class B. If your engine quits out there
and there's any kind of headwind all you've got is a couple of minutes to
decide whose backyard furniture looks the softest because there's nothing
but people underneath you.

-cwk.