Old November 26th 15, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Is FLARM helpful?

UH,

I should have been clearer, these were contests I was personally flying in.

We had three years in a row at contests where I was flying. Uvalde, Parowan, and then Uvalde again. I was beginning to wonder if this was becoming the norm or I was just really bad luck and should stop going to contests.

I flew at Mifflin in 2012, which was the first US nationals where PowerFlarm was available for many contestants. We were installing them during the rain days as you remember. Every contest after that has seen an increase in the number of pilots with PowerFlarm and I have not had to personally listen to the radio calls of the aftermath of a midair. After the last one at Uvalde I never want to hear it again.

I hope that PowerFlarm is mandatory at all Nationals in the future.

Tim (TT)