Old April 10th 04, 02:02 PM
Jay Honeck

Keep in mind that one of the biggest challenges for most pilots is using
dramatic enough control inputs to react to strong gusts. For most of us,
most flying involves minor, gentle control inputs and we're not used to
forcing the airplane around. And indeed, on the other hand some pilots
create their own turbulence fighting the airplane.

That last statement is the truest I've seen here for a while.

It took me probably 500 hours before I realized that *I* was creating most
of the "turbulence" when flying in rough air, by trying to counteract every,
single gust of wind. I'd slap the yoke back and forth, in a vain attempt to
keep the wings perfectly level.

Of course, I'd be a half-step out of phase with the movement -- no one can
react instantaneously, especially not in a Spam can -- so my efforts only
increased the frequency and intensity of the "turbulence."

Mary is only now (with right around that same number of hours) figuring this
out for herself. For the longest time, she griped that the air always
"smoothed out" when it was my turn to fly -- when, in fact, it was simply
our techniques that were different.

The trick is to ride most of the bumps out, counteracting only the biggest
"wing-lifters"... Maybe this can be taught -- I vaguely remember my
primary instructor telling me something like this -- but we've had to learn
it the hard way, by experience.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA