Old May 2nd 12, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Wood[_2_]

Default glider pilot medicals

re the letter in this months issue of Soaring regarding glider pilot
medicals: I think this letter confuses the medical requirements for
power planes, LSA and gliders. As I read the FARs (61.23, 61.53)
a US glider pilot does not need a FAA medical, or a drivers
license, to fly a glider, and I see no rule saying its not ok for a
glider pilot to have failed a FAA medical. I recall FAR 61.23 used
to say that for a LSA, one could not have failed a FAA medical, but
this seems to have disappeared from the latest version of 61.23.
Anyone know where that part of the rule went to?