Old October 24th 18, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default What electronics are worth buying

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 7:16:33 PM UTC-7, Mike C wrote:
On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 3:47:54 PM UTC-6, John Huthmaker wrote:
With Christmas coming up, what are some things worth asking Santa for? Is there any decent GPS devices that are reasonably priced? I'm thinking around the $500 mark. I already have a handheld transceiver. I have a nice headset for power planes. I have a parachute. At my soaring club, all of the planes are as minimalist as they come. They're all steam gauges. What do you guys consider to be essential modern tech for gliders?

John,

If you are going to be using the club gliders, look at the LX Nano and a good dedicated daylight visible Android phone(I use a Sony Xperia Z3)to install XCSoar or Top Hat on to. Also the LoRa Flarm device would be a good choice for proximity warnings. The Nano and LoRa Flarm are both very portable and you will not need to connect to the gliders electrical system. Total about $650.00 US.

Mike

Or even better. Find out what portable soaring software/devices local XC pilots are using, pilots going good XC distances, that will help you. Get what they use. Might be XCSoar, Might be SeeYou Mobile/Oudie, might be ...

No argument on the Garmin inReach, get the Mini and a proper way to mount it on your parachute harness (like an Alan Silver Smak Pak).

SeeYou on a PC is also likely a good investment if you are heading off XC. maybe wanting to do badges, etc.