Old October 24th 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default What electronics are worth buying

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 4:47:54 PM UTC-5, John Huthmaker wrote:
With Christmas coming up, what are some things worth asking Santa for? Is there any decent GPS devices that are reasonably priced? I'm thinking around the $500 mark. I already have a handheld transceiver. I have a nice headset for power planes. I have a parachute. At my soaring club, all of the planes are as minimalist as they come. They're all steam gauges. What do you guys consider to be essential modern tech for gliders?

John - I assume that you do not own a glider and want something to increase club ship flying pleasure. I can't comment on cell phone based systems but my choices for dedicated devices would be (with approximate pricing);

Primary GPS device #1 - Naviter Oudie 2 (IGC version adds flight recorder) - Nice bright large sized 5" screen, dedicated SeeYou Mobile software, and comes with a suction cup mount, pwr/data cabling, etc. $600 ($1200)

Primary GPS device #2 - LXNav Nano 4 (also is a flight recorder, audio vario) - Nice bright medium sized 3-1/2" screen. $700

Secondary GPS device - LXNav Nano 3 (also is a flight recorder, audio vario) - Nice bright small sized 2" screen. $600

Safety Device - PLB like ACR ELECTRONICS ResQLink+ - Doesn't require a monthly fee (but does *NOT* send real time tracking to friends) - $300

Best of luck.

John OHM Ω