Old August 28th 04, 06:47 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Icebound" said:
Do a google search on "Avro Arrow" and you will find out all about it...
even the conspiracy theories of how the USA were jealous of our innovative
superiority of that time, and coerced the Canadian government into
cancelling the project, and destroying the prototypes:

The only problem with that theory was that the US government was actually
subsidizing the development of it, just like they'd helped Belgium and
(damn, I forgot the other country) buy Avro CF-100 Clunks. The US project
that was going to use the advanced Sparrow was cancelled, but they kept up
the development and were going to give it to Canada for use on the Arrow
for free.

The Arrow was a beautiful and very advanced bird, but it was a fast
interceptor and they stopped building fast interceptors when they realized
that the real Soviet threat was ballistic missiles, not Tu-4s. I'm not
sure what Avro would have come up with next after the Arrow, but I suspect
that cause of Canadian aviation would have been better served if they'd
been allowed to continue development of the Avro Jetliner instead of the
Arrow.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I'm not going to be a place that allows viruses to go unpunished. Anything