Old November 29th 03, 01:34 PM
Harry Gordon

The battery that is in the A-5 is a Ni-MH 76 mAh. I plugged it back in
yesterday afternoon and just now rechecked it and either the charger isn't
working or the battery is no good, for whatever reason. I am going to stop
by a big electronics repair/sales store today and see if they can test my
charger and go from there. I will also look for the in-line charge meter
someone suggested.

Harry

"BTIZ" wrote in message
best advice is to use the "factory charger"

I had an ICOM-22 with the NiCD, the battery lasted about 2yrs in normal
weekend operations, and would last 10hours on a charge..

I replaced it with NiMH, same charger, higher battery amp rating. No
problems, lasts 10-12 hours or more on a single charge.

We use it for "ramp operations" and "aircraft radio" at the local glider
club.

Sounds like you got a bad battery

BT
"Morgans" wrote in message

"Harry Gordon" wrote in message
Cecil,

Thanks. I failed to mention that the battery that it came with is the

type
that does not have a memory. It can be recharged at any level. In the

mean
time, I have it back on my charger again. I may end up asking for

another
battery.

Harry

First of all, there is no such thing as a NiCad with no memory problems.
Any other thing being said is all marketing. If they are NiMH, then the
memory problem is about gone, but they self discharge more quickly, and

are
even more sensitive about overcharges.

If you left it on the charger all weekend, you may have grossly

overcharged
and fried the battery. The possibility exists that the charger is not
putting enough juice out.

You need to get creative, and find a way to get a meter in-line, and

measure
the volts of the charger, while it is charging, and also the milli amps

it
is putting out while it is charging.

Best advice is to get a smart charger to charge the thing. One source

is
place like tower hobbies, like the kind of charger used on RC airplanes

and
cars. Then you will know that you have a full charge, without frying the
battery.