Old August 8th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Tinted canopies desirable?

Itsaplane wrote:
I've wondered about the desirability of having a tinted canopy. Even
with the heat of flying in the desert, I'm concerned that if you made
the mistake of landing after sunset, near dark, you might wish your
canopy wasn't tinted...

I'm curious about how well the typical digital camera handles the blue
tinting. Since they all (most?) have automatic white balance, perhaps
they avoid the color cast that often occurred with film cameras. Of
course, it's not an issue if all your pictures are through an open vent
window.

Most of my flying is in desert conditions, like eastern Washington and
Idaho states, Parowan, Ely, Minden, but I've also flown in other areas
across the country, including back east a number of times. I've always
had clear canopies, but rarely felt overheated, even though I always fly
in long pants and shirts, so I've stayed with the clear canopies for
photography (maybe not an issue anymore) and low light conditions.

I am curious about the use of a blue tint, which would seem to decrease
the contrast of clouds against the sky, instead of a gray or brownish tint.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org