Old January 17th 13, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

Default What could possibly go wrong?

In article ,
Vaughn wrote:

On 1/15/2013 4:28 PM, Ralph Jones wrote:
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/82160

NASA has been working on similar concepts for years. The Eclipse Tow
Launch Demonstration Project actually towed an F-106 behind a C 141 in
1998. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/p...S-049-DFRC.pdf

This was to validate the Kelly Space and Technology Eclipse Astroliner
Tow-Launch Concept which featured a low aspect ratio rocket glider as a
launch vehicle towed behind a (guess what), 747.

http://www.kellyspace.com/launchvehicle2/

There used to be video of the C 141 towing the 106. They used a very
long tow line and a low tow position IIRC. The rather beefy towhook was
mounted on top of the 106 nose. The advantages to a tow launch we (1)
Engine nozzle(s) on the spaceplane would be optimized for high altitude
operation; (2) Less fuel needed for launch (3) Lower landing gear mass.
Landing gear mass has been one of the bigger design problems for
horizontal takeoff spacecraft.

During a discussion of this with some engineers and actual rocket
scientists, I (and others before me, apparently) suggested that not only
should the spacecraft be attached to the first stage by a towline, the
towline should, in fact, be a refueling boom. Got the idea from fighter
jocks telling stories about fighters being towed by tankers as an
emergency operation. With minimal, or no fuel on board, the towed
spacecraft would be extremely light since it would be mostly empty fuel
tanks. Fuel would be transferred after reaching a safe(r) altitude. This
would also allow for even lower landing gear mass.