Old January 3rd 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default FOI...lol... CFI oral?

gatt wrote:
Well, I scored 96% on the Fundamentals of Instruction exam and it took me
about ten minutes, so I kinda wish I'd not have stressed on all the
psychobabble so much. I told the CATS proctor I was shooting for 100% and
he joked "Well, it's a solid fifteen-minute exam."

The Flight Instructor written looks like a thorough refresher rather than a
tough exam, then he told me what to expect on the oral exam which guarantees
I'll have my nose in the books for awhile. Is the oral the toughest part of
the CFI rating?

-c

Depends on the examiner. If it isn't, it should be. It's the oral that
should be revealing the actual extent of what the applicant knows as
well as the applicant's ability to teach what he/she knows.
The best approach to the oral is to of course know the material, but
arrive prepared to be able to explain complicated matters in everyday
terms. If there's one thing a GOOD examiner looks for in a CFI
applicant, its the ability to do this.
Many CFI applicants make a mistake when they are asked a simple
question, then proceed to go into the most highly technical answers they
can dream up to deal with it.
It's good to know the technical side, and indeed you should know that
side, but the GOOD CFI can take that highly complicated and technical
answer and project it on any level necessary to meet an individual
student's ability to comprehend it.
THIS is what the oral is all about!! It's not what you know so much as
how well you can TEACH what you know :-))
Go for it!!
Best of luck

--
Dudley Henriques