Old November 9th 05, 02:59 AM
John T

Default PDA GPS software Which one??

"Kevin Black" wrote in message

1. Which of these two would you buy, and why?

I bought AnywherMap for much the same reasons as you listed. I use a PDA
regularly outside the cockpit so the "dual-use" aspect was appealing.

2. Functionality compared to Garmin's offering?

Compared to the Garmin handhelds I've been able to get side-by-side, I'm
pleased with my purchase. The Garmin units do offer good performance and
are purpose-built so conflicts with other apps is a non-issue (read
"reliability"). However, I don't recall a problem with AnywhereMap in
flight and the screen of my iPAQ 3955 (now hx4700) is superior to those of
the Garmin handhelds I've had up close. However, the new 296 is intriquing
and I've not yet had it side-by-side with AnywhereMap.

3. Ease of use compared to Garmin?

This is a matter of pure opinion. My experience is the PDA screen is usable
in flight. However, I have yet to fly in anything but mild- to light
turbulence. With that in mind, my preference is for the PDA interface.
Having to use the buttons and rockers on the Garmins is not as efficient in
my opinion.

4. Base mapping (Garmin has the intl Pacific Base map for Aus). The
Jepp DB has all of the avaiation info including control zones etc etc.
Do these systems have at least the same info depicted?

This is where other systems can really outshine AnywhereMap. The latest AWM
database for Australia appears to be dated June 2001. That *may* be
sufficient for VFR use, but then again, it *is* very old and is unlikely to
be updated.

5. Updates - If I don't update the Garmin it still works with the 'old'
database. Do these keep functioning without updating the database. I
have no real reason to update more than once a year or so?

Yes, AnywhereMap will function with an outdated database.

Others have mentioned alternative solutions that may work just as well for
your needs.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer