Old January 22nd 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default High Vis Markings

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 10:13:43 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 9:23:37 AM UTC-5,
I was wondering about high vis markings.
...the infinite wisdom master has not mandated it

High vis marking is mandated in some parts of the world (French Alps?). But it is controversial whether they help or hurt in all contexts. Some people conclude that the markings work as camouflage because they erode the edge of the plane's outline/silhouette.

There was someone in the UK that got good results with putting mirror tape on ailerons that flashed sun glint to overtaking planes when the glider was on final.

Sun glint is promising. I will someday get around to experimenting with Bird Scare Ribbon streamers on my wing tips or perhaps on the tips of my horizontal stabilizer.
http://www.amazon.com/100-Foot-2-Inc...ords=bird+tape

You might want to do some testing on how draggy those streamers would be - a simple test using a car might be instructional.

My gut feeling is that any length long enough to be useful would be pretty draggy!

Let us know.

Kirk