Old January 22nd 16, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default High Vis Markings

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 1:17:50 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 12:19:47 PM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:

My gut feeling is that any length long enough to be useful would be pretty draggy!

I figure the wing tip is already very draggy. How much worse could it get? I'm thinking about 12" would work as the tape acts like a signal mirror picking up the sun glint. The wing tip turbulence means it passes through a lot of different angles.

Like I said, try it out first, you may be surprised. Think of the hardware needed to attach the ribbon, or are you going to just tape it to the trailing edge? So now you have 12 inches of tape flapping in the wind - It can get a LOT worse! Or you may have come up with the best thing since sliced bread ;^)

So please, give it a try and report back!

I have orange wingtips and rudder, and other pilots have commented on how visible they make me - especially against a white background. Wouldn't fly without them...

Kirk

Kirk