Old October 27th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma

Default Regs regarding "VFR flight following?" (also: "need to vent")

wrote in
:

I had an interesting experience the other day. To some degree I
was testing
the theory that a local Class-C facility would invariably vector VFR
aircraft outside the lateral boundaries of their airspace. I've seen
this at a few different airports where I transition through with
flight following, but underneath (or overtop) the vertical limits.

I have never had this in Charlie airspace in my five years of flying.

I thought this particularly aggressive and unnecessary, so I was
going to try
to find the official regs as far as flight following goes. I'm
convinced that's the reason why a lot of VFR pilots never want to talk
to ATC unless absolutely necessary. I pretty much use flight
following on any cross-country when I'm not IFR, but it aggravates me
when they vector VFR traffic when outside (especially above/below)
their airspace anyway.

My question is where were you in relationship to the airport? Were you
under an approach or departure path? Where you near an initial approach
fix for IFR traffic?

Seems to me, that you may have been a traffic conflict for the approach
phase of the airport near these fixes (if you were indeed near one) that
ATC had the need to on to you / vector you around the Charlie airspace.

Naturally,, every airport is different, but my experience with Charlie
airspace has been quite different then yours.

Allen