Old June 18th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Texas Tragedy Info?

On Monday, June 18, 2012 12:21:22 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
On Monday, June 18, 2012 2:07:03 PM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
If it is not the cause, must be to main contributing factor. I just find it hard to believe that it is unrelated.
What a tragedy

Ramy

From the images, it appears the tail dolly may have been attached so the handle could be used as a lift point for one of the straps.

FW

the CBS link that i posted first does show the tail dolly on before it was being lifted out of the field. but you are right it could've been put there post-crash to help with moving.

Indeed the tail dolly is seen in earlier photo. I find it very hard to believe that someone had the presence of mind to put the tail dolly on after the crash.
I speculate that it was the main contributing factor, which perhaps caused a distraction and wrong pilot action. This reminds us again that we all human and we all do mistakes, no matter how experienced we are (my understanding he was a high time instructor). Most of the time we get away with them, but sometime we don't. The most unfortunate thing is that it happen when giving a ride to 2 family members. This really really sucks!

Ramy