View Single Post
Old September 15th 17, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default sunlight readable iphone

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 2:26:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Does anyone have any data on whether the iPhone X OLED screen will be more sunlight readable than previous iPhones? The brightness spec looks the same (625cd/m2), but I see no data on the screen reflectance.

We'll have to wait and see. The Samsung 8 which uses the same display technology and also has about the same specs, was tested by Display Mate to have a peak brightness of 1000 Nits when left on auto brightness. The OLED technology uses more power the brighter you set it, so Samsung (and probably Apple) will not allow you to manually set it that high for battery life reasons, but it may go that high when in viewed in high ambient light.

The biggest problem I have with the iPhone LCD displays isn't reflectance, it is when looking towards the sun. You iris closes down to accommodate, and the display looks dark. Looking away from the sun I find the iPhone 6 Plus to be as readable as an Oudie2 or its clones.

From http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S8...een_Brightness

"On the Galaxy S8 the Maximum Screen Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can’t permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High Screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time.

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S8 produces up to a very impressive 1,020 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – which is the brightest Smartphone display that we have ever measured"