Old June 19th 20, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1981 Cobra trailer gas struts

Nice work. I had to do that for an older (1978) Komet many years ago and, like you, was shocked at just how heavy the top is.

Two thoughts:

1. It should be obvious but rod-end-down/body-end-up can be different in the raised and lowered positions. I've seen trailers that way and the LS-3 landing gear is also, forcing you to pick one alternative. I go for the position that the mechanism is in 99% of the time (i.e., top down for a trailer)..

2. The attach bolts are cantilevered out beyond the trailer wall and have been known to fail. I suspect that's more likely if you insert a lot of washers as spacers. Just be careful to monitor that. They apparently bend before they fail so you should see it. I don't know what was there originally but consider sourcing some Grade 8 or other very-high-strength bolts. Maybe even drilling out the holes oversize and going up in size.

Perhaps someone else can comment on bolt failures. It's a known, apparently not-very-common, but potentially disastrous weakness.

It's a greatÂ*feeling to get everything installed and working--even though all you have is what you started out with.

Chip Bearden
JB