Old February 6th 19, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Inreach Mini

I was actually looking at inReach until I found the following in the
small print:

Minimum cost is $49.90 on the inReachâ„¢ Safety Plan, $64.90 on the
inReachâ„¢ Recreation Plan, $89.90 on the inReachâ„¢ Expedition Plan and
$119.90 on the inReachâ„¢ Adventurer Plan.

Ii appears that if you just leave the thing in a bag for emergency use,
you'll pay $29.95 to activate the unit, $0.30/track point if you use it
for tracking, $0.85/message if you send (or I would guess) receive a
text, and, if you don't use it enough to get up to $49.90/month, that's
what you'll pay as a minimum.Â* Then there's the acquisition cost...

That rivals DirecTV in cost and I dumped them.

On 2/6/2019 11:56 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 1:29:49 PM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:
On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 11:08:46 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
Inreach is useful in non-emergency situations when working phones are scarce. I used to arrange one retrieve last Summer, worked great. Service is $20 a month, $2 a month when suspended, in case this clears up any misconceptions about that.

***some deleted***
On 2/6/2019 5:31 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
Has anyone found anything not to like about the Inreach Mini?

@T8 - perhaps in the U.S.; here in Canada it's $44.95 plus 13% tax/month for the plan that can be suspended ($34.95/mo annual with no suspension). We have great OGN coverage that will give the Rescue Coordination Centre a good starting point. To me, not worth it here - but at half the price, maybe.
Cheers

Check out the "safety" plan.

-T8

--