Old July 19th 14, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike I Green

Default Bill Gawthrop "F8" Accident - Sun 07/13/2014 - His Status

On 7/19/2014 5:56 AM, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Bill was not the first to hit the cliff at Truckee and
sadly, he won't be the last. I can remember 3 others. When a south wind comes to the cliff, it follows the terrain down, we call this "sink at the approach end of 19". When the reported wind is over 10 knots I don't fly past the cliff, simply fly my base leg parallel to and not past the cliff, turning final at 150 feet.
Speedy recovery, Bill
JJ

Likewise.

MG