Old March 24th 04, 02:14 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(Andrew Sarangan) wrote:

Is there an explanation for why small radii objects collect ice
faster? The NASA icing video simply states this fact without giving an
explanation. I have found the same with most other sources as well.

Here's a somewhat fuzzy/unscientific answer which may help at an
intuitive level...

A larger radius object disturbs the air a further distance out in front
of it than a smaller object does. So, if a water droplet is sitting
there suspended in the air, with the smaller object, it has less of a
chance to get deflected up or down before the object slams into it.

I don't know if that explanation will stand up to critical examination
by somebody who really understands the subtleties of aerodynamics, but
that's the way I've always understood it.