Old November 28th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jeroen Wenting

Default B-58's targets in a nuclear war

All right, the source I quoted in my first post indicated that some
B-52s would have landed somewhere in the Middle East after bombing
Soviet targets.

"7. The air bases in Spain were originally built for SAC operations,
and SAC still has contingency plans for their use. These involve the
prestrike forward deployment of some B-58 bombers and accompanying
tankers, the post-strike recovery for a few B-52's [1 line of source
text not declassified] in the Middle East."

As I understand, the B-58 was a weapon for deterence,
it was a 1 way strike mission....1 way.
Ken

yes, like the B-47 they were intended for one way missions.
Runways to land on outside the USSR would likely have been selected but
noone (least of all the crews) expected to ever reach them (or find them in
usable condition if they made it).