Old September 5th 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
150flivver

Default Transponder check

On Sep 4, 3:58*am, Ron wrote:
On Sep 2, 7:08*pm, cavelamb wrote:

Ron wrote:
On Sep 2, 3:26 pm, Neal Fulco wrote:
If my last transponder check was on 9/12/07, *am I good until 9/12/09
or am I good until the end of the month? *The FAR states 2 "calendar
years." *Thanks. *This is for VFR by the way.

Neal

The FAR does NOT state that. *It says 24 calendar months. * You're
good
to the end of the month and it makes no difference if you don't intend
fly IFR.

"Intend to", or bust VFR minimums?

Sorry I was not clear....It doesn't matter if you are VFR or IFR.
You need a transponder check in all circumstances.

There are two different checks involving the transponder. The
correspondence check for IFR is significantly more costly than a
simple VFR transponder check. If all you do is fly VFR, get a VFR
check and save some money or spend more and add the IFR compliant
checks--it's your dime.